Thursday, February 21, 2008

Schumacher was right?

So I think I’m a pretty happy person most of the time. I’m getting a degree in what I love, good college, good times, good family and friends and so on right? Well a few weekends ago I went to a church that in a way brought to light a new kind of happiness. It wasn’t as if this new happiness was being felt again, it was like I said, new. Schumacher was right!
First of all for some background information, I went to church irregularly as a child, and through the end of high school (probably even middle school), I hardly went at all. Now I still considered myself a Christian and everything, I prayed (sometimes), but I just never went to church.
Well, Senior year rolls around and I start dating this girl Yvette who is amazing. This is about church though not my girlfriend so I’ll save that for later. She had been trying to get me to go with her to the Potter’s House for a while. The Potter’s Houseis a huge, I mean huge church south of Dallas in 35 (at least I think its 35). It’s mainly African Americans that attend, which gives you a sense of the atmosphere. Well we finally went and it was pretty cool I must say. I don’t want to offend anybody because I know church isn’t about being cool, but this place was fun.
It seemed like the people there -everybody- held the idea like hey, were going to worship anyways so why not have some fun while we do it. The loudness of their choir rivaled most of the concerts I’ve been to. Anyways, once Bishop T.D. Jakes came out and started his sermon, from the very start it caught my attention. It seemed like it was directed right at me because it was addressing some issues and problems I had very recently been dealing with.
Needles to say I paid a lot of attention to the sermon. And when I left, I just kind of felt different. I was happy but not in the same way that I always am. I mainly wanted to share this bit of experience because I think it greatly qualifies Schumacher’s ideas about how our priorities have shifted from church and other things to me, me, me. Well it qualified it for me anyway. Now going to church didn’t really benefit anybody but me, but I think it’s a more self-satisfying way of pursuing happiness opposed to any of that stuff Schumacher said we need to steer clear from. Drugs, materials, and so on. That’s all I really wanted to mention, so thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you aren't getting comments because you needed to make your point more strongly on this post. You waded into it. This is potentially a great topic to write about, even to argue about in the next paper, but you ought to edit it to give it more of a point and make it more concise. Do you want to say the thing that made you happy was the way the service took you outside of self and made you part of something larger, the collective joy of the congregation?