Sunday, March 23, 2008

Getting A's at the expense of what?

This post is for all the students (myself included), who feel a bit stressed out. The constant exams, thousands of pages of reading each night, and a social life? It can be pretty exhausting.
Stress can be a good thing. Alot of people I know thrive on the pressure of having so much to do at the same time. I feel that I am this way to some extent. Stress can be an indication that you care about what you are doing , which is a good thing. But on the other hand, where does it end? Personally, if I'm worried about all the things I have due monday, I find it hard to fully enjoy myself until they are done, which is typically Sunday night. Yeah I go out with friends and everything on weekends but I still feel a little bit tense.
Last weekend I was on the phone with my girlfriend and she had a question about something (I forget what it was). Anyway when I had to repeat the answer because she didn't really understand the answer, I got pretty mad. She asked why I was being short with her and then said I've been like that alot lately. She understood when I told her of all the stuff I had to do this weekend, but still I felt bad. Saturday night when I was in my room practicing I thought about it. I realized that the things I've been giving her a hard time about are so meaningless I couldn't even remeber them. I kind of realized when I was with a bunch of people and they told me I was acting like a jerk also. My parents have been getting it too (Especially when they interupted me from doing workto help with dinner or something, boy was I mad.)
When I realized that all this school stuff was what was making me tense and testy all the time, I did some research on it. A teacher at Stanford, Robert Sapolsky, had some information about how stress can cause life long problems if it is not handled well. You can read alot more about it here. Anyways even if we disregard the scientific approach, if you're too stressed to be nice to the people you care about, you need to chill out. I know I'm going to. I'm not saying we need to do the minimum to enjoy our life the most, but you can't ruin what's happening to you now for what will happen to you after you get your degree. Just something to think about, and it got methinkin about it so much I might have to put it in our next paper.

Also, an interesting entry about spring break I commented on awhile ago can be found here. Until next time.

1 comment:

MAM said...

I have to admit that I get that way aswell. I get very short and angry at the little things because I'm stressed. I think we get so caught up in the competition and having a good GPA, we forget that grades are not the most important things in life. This past weekend, I had a scary experience that made me realize this. Someone very close to me got into an accident Saturday night. I'm not going into details but the incident made me think what I would do without this person in my life. My perspective immediatly changed. My day to day thoughts are about school, especially doing well to get into the business school. However, after this weekend, those things are important but they are not what life it about. Life is about relationships, experiences, and our actions. So I agree that stressing about school isn't what we should be doing in these four years.